Wednesday, June 18, 2014

We'rrrrre Heeerrrre! Welcome to Austin Ronald McDonald House!

So, we got to Austin, TX in record time this trip!  We came straight to the Ronald McDonald House.  It was very un-nerving at first.  I mean I have no idea what I'm waling into.  My mind wondered if I was walking in to a quiet place that had a bunch of sad parents and ill children.  As we walked down the sidewalk we saw a playroom and a playground.  That definately made the kids happy!

We checked in at the reception area and then went into a room where we signed a form and watched a "movie" about the rules for the RMH.  Basically, they rely on a lot of volunteers to help with cleaning and such.  People volunteer to cook or bring food by.  They told us sometimes people don't show up to cook for various reasons.  Also, there is NO food or drink allowed in the rooms except water.  I think that helps keep it extra clean.

We brought in our bags and then we left to go get a few personal items and some dinner.  When we arrived back, they had some volunteers that dropped by dressed in superhear costumes and delivering "Love your Melon" hates.  How appropriate right? For kids going through brain surgery, seems appropriate :)

So, there was a good crowd of parents and visitors and the fun hero volunteers.  Some of the heros played with the kids and one guy had a guitar and sang songs.  It was like a block party!

As we were sitting and watching the girls play with various toys and kids and heros....our Facebook Friend Debra came by to give us the report about her granddaughter Morgann.  Such a coincidence that all the girls are having surgery the same week!  Anyways, Morgann did great and they were keeping her pain managed well and she went straight to step-down unit.  She was eating and drinking about two hours after her surgery, and had not vomited at all.  So, I thought that was fantastic!  Debra didn't stay long she was in a hurry to get back to the hospital (don't blame her).  She said they told her to prepare for five days.  I had no idea what to prepare for so I packed for a week.  Fortunately, RMH has a laundry room that doesn't require money (what a blessing huh? it's the small things!).  Also, speaking of small things....there was a RMH bag on our bed with a small pillow, blanket and some hotel size shampoo/toothpaste, etc. in it!  I was happy to see that because I was thinking about how I didn't bring a little pillow for the hospital room, so again...the little things!

Back to the subject, here is the little girl Morgann (Debra said ok to share).  She is very comfortable according to the recent facebook posts and the pic below is from her fb page.  I'm so happy to hear she is doing so well.

So far, as many tears as I have swallowed back talking to RMH employees and Debra, I have to say RMH has made that easier.  I have only been here a matter of hours, but there is something magical here that makes you feel like a family.  I'll have more to come but here are some pictures of the place!  (in the pic where my daughter is holding a tissue, she had a nose bleed...she wasn't crying!)

 



More to come.  I'll probably post more pics from the RMH tomorrow after our pre-op appointments at the hospital and the neurosurgeon appointment for surgical consult.  Prayers for all the girls are needed! Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment