Thursday, October 24, 2013

New York - Party in Slow Motion part 2

Well, it has been a long week.  Lots of good stuff and a few rough family moments.

We had finally made it to New Jersey20131020_122313.jpg and ate at Applebee's there (I have to eat gluten free so I usually pick restaurants I'm familiar with).20131020_130056.jpg  (That's my beautiful Mama!)



We were going to try to go by the Cake Boss bakery, but somehow took a wrong turn and ended up in the middle of Manhattan in China Town!  So, imagine a big white hi-top conversion van driving down the road there!  Honestly, there was so many people everywhere and cars, I do not know how people live and work in busy parts of New York without being stressed out.  How can you get anywhere and on time?  As an Okie, this was so stressful.  Somehow though we did get through the crowd and understand that we did something wrong.

We did make it to our hotel, exhausted and grumpy (Note:  never tell your Honey that he's going too fast for you to figure out where your at and then realize you have turned the map upside down.)  If I had been driving it would have looked like this http://movieclips.com/6omE-clueless-movie-freeway-freakout/  (PG warning).

We checked into our room which was a two bedroom two bathroom suite.  It's been pretty perfect for our week long stay here.  Also, we have a great laundry and really perfect indoor heated pool that has been to ourselves with no one swimming here.

Jones Beach was a really fun experience.  The only thing that could have made it better was taking a picnic basket (yes Mama I should have listened to you).  There was basically no one at the beach on this beautiful 68 degree day with no wind really.  Lots of sea shells and sand.  Kids had a blast.  There was even a little beach shop open which worked out because they all had to literally test the waters and Sarah ended up getting her shoes soaked and covered with sand.  So...flip flops is what we bought there and a bag to put the shoes in :)20131021_115754.jpg


We also found a McDonald's that was really cool.  A big white Victorian house
20131023_131121.jpg20131023_131110.jpg20131023_131124.jpg

We went to get the MRI's done at the hospital and they went well.  We had some confusion on how to do the flex MRI's under anaesthesia since they don't want to have the head fall forward to block the airway.  So both girls had to go into the MRI at first without meds.  They did perfect!  So proud.  Fortunately, they could still see daddy (he goes in testing I stay out with the other one in recovery) and didn't have to anestasized until the head went backwards and they couldn't see him anymore.  Here they are in recovery

20131022_124945.jpg20131022_113439.jpg

The rest of that day was spent chillaxing in the hotel.

There was a day between the MRI and the doctor visit so we told the girls we would find something to do around town.  The daunting task of pleasing the multiple ages of the kids and my Mama (she just wanted to go by Times Square and the Statue of Liberty) and ourselves, proved to almost overtake us as I got frustrated ended up in the backseat of the van to let my Mama navigate.  So, hubby decides to drive around some more and we ended up in a not so fun area.  So, we turned around and went back to a better area.  Just when I thought the day was hopelessly lost, suddenly, there it was  20131023_144106.jpg.  Yes for all my organizational fans out there, The Container Store!  So, hubby says "wow who knew that was a turn-on for you"?

The sheer excitement of the family behind me (oh no not there mom!  Really a box store?  How many boxes do you need?  (thanks Mama for being the adult in the situation) was drowned out by heavenly angels from above singing as I raced into the store and saw the "Bright Shiny & New" display 20131023_144221.jpg.  Ok so for all those wondering who have never been in there and wondered if it is worth it...it so is.  However, plan to have everything delivered!  I loved being able to actually put my hands on stuff I was interested in that I've seen online. And the Elfa stuff...it is pretty amazing.  All of their products they carried felt high quality.

In the end the family had settled on that "it was a pretty neat place mom" (Thanks guys).  They actually had a good time..but who wouldn't?  Areas of your life that you can control in a box?  How isn't that a turn on?  :)

So that evening we ended up going out to eat (we had been eating breakfast and dinner at the hotel as it is provided in the room package) but we wanted to experience some NY food.  We went to Angelleto's and I got Chicken Marsala.  Others ordered the Manacotti and seafood pasta.  We also ordered a large pizza (I couldn't eat it but man it looked so good!).

20131023_181759.jpg

Now I have to give props to Mama.  While it seems like she is just along for the ride and free food in the pics, she has been invaluable to me.  I just couldn't have done this emotional trip without her and I am so grateful that she came along to help me.  She has been able to pitch in to give me a much needed break.  She has sat in the back of the van helping to assist every whim (it's like the kids think there is a stewardess button in the van they just push "ding I need this"  "ding so and so did that".)  So thanks to my Mama, for whom without, this party just wouldn't have been as much fun! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment